The idea that if you call 911 and magically your loved ones will be saved from harm is total bull. If you truly believe this then stop reading now because you live in a dream world and you probably think unicorns exist and enjoy watching Rachael Maddow. Here in the real world you are your families first responder. It’s your responsibility to do everything you can to protect your loved ones. I should be able to stop right here you would get it. Many will not so I’ll do my best to enlighten you.
1. Buy a handgun.
2. Learn how to shoot. Don’t just buy a gun, throw it in your nightstand and think having it is enough to keep you safe.
3. Practice shooting often and not just sitting on your ass at the bench.
4. Learn to shoot in a variety of positions. Sitting, standing, prone and laying on your back and sides.
5. Learn to shoot with your strong and weak arms and shoot both one and two handed.
7. Learn to shoot while moving and practice shooting while using cover between shots.
8. Once you are comfortable with your new skill get your concealed carry permit.
9. Actually carry your weapon. Leaving it at home will not help you away from home.
Make sure that if the time comes and your family is in threat of imminent harm you are prepared to do what it takes to keep them safe.
Hopefully you will never need to use your new skills. If you do at least you will be confident that you can be your families first responder.